Musings of a Canadian Slacker

Saturday, May 31, 2003
 
New note on Victoria Day...I ran across a calendar printed in Quebec..where it is called Dollard Day. The name refers to Dollard des Ormeaux The link is to a site that basically follows the heroic legend (in French, sorry). As an interesting side note, I recently saw the statue of Dollard in Montreal. It was covered by sk8ers, lounging after a hard afternoon of insolence and skateboarding.
Anyways, I found it interesting that English Canada celebrates the birthday of the Queen whose government gave us our independence whereas Quebec chooses to celebrate a guy who basically wanted to hijack some Iroquois canoes and take their furs. And who failed to do even that, in the process getting himself and most of his men killed. At least the Hurons had the sense to get out of the fort.. Ah well, another day in this most schizophrenic of countries. I blame Abbé Lionel Groulx myself. Though I guess Guy Frégault can also be blamed....